Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Swept away by steampunk fun

This review was written by occasional contributor Lee Wind!

In a steam punk world parallel to our own, where cruise ships travel the sky… Mr. Mat Cruise, a cabin boy of little means but great spirit, faces down villains, mystery, first love, and pirates on the high air.

The story had so many twists and turns it’s impossible to tell you much more without giving away too many of the surprises.

But I can tell you that besides the pirates, Mat has to deal with a rich female teenage passenger with an insufferable chaperone, the derailment of Mat’s own career by a scion of the majestic liner’s owner, and working through the death of his father a few years earlier.

I listened to the Full Cast audio recording of the book, and it was wonderful. A bit like listening to a radio play, it wasn’t as ‘external’ as watching a movie, nor as ‘internal’ as reading the words off a page or screen. It definitely felt like a different experience than reading the book would have been – but I really enjoyed listening to it.

AIRBORN” was adventure that swept me up and made me cheer, and boo, and ache, and ultimately delight. I loved this book.

5 comments :

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, I like the new cover!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hi Tanita - Yeah, it's funny - because I listened to the audio book, I didn't really even look at the cover until I was putting this post together. I had pictured everything a little bit differently, but it's always fun to see how an artist interprets a book, to draw you in and get you interested.

I think this cover does that, but it feels a bit "softer" than the book - it really was a swashbuckling adventure!
I hope you read it!
Namaste,
Lee

Sarah Stevenson said...

I've only read Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel--I'll be really interested to see what he does with steampunk!

Meredith said...

One of my favorite books ever. And the full cast is audio is really exciting. I kept finding excuses to drive places so I could listen to it. Excellent review.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Thanks Meredith - and yeah, I know what you mean about wanting to stay in the car to listen...